05 June 2017 / Club News

Season To Remember

Season To Remember


We take a look back on a season to remember, plenty of highs, plenty of memories and a few last minute winners!



It may have been early September but we played our opening game under torrential rain away at Bridgend. History was made by Sam Jones who scored the 1st ever RGC try in the Principality Premiership.  The winger scored a brace in the win against Bridgend Ravens.

RGC went on to win all 4 games in the month, including a home win against Llandovery plus further away games against Neath and Carmarthen .  This month also marked Bryn Williams final match in an RGC shirt, as one of the “Originals” hung up his boots.


Aberavon arrived at Parc Eirias and defeated RGC, which was the Gogs 1st loss of the season. They bounced back with 2 wins against 2 of the other sides promoted to the league – Swansea and Bargoed. 

We picked up our 1st Bonus Point win at St Helens, and the centre partnership of Loots and Hughes was proving effective for RGC.

The Bargoed game saw RGC rack up a 54-3 win, and fly-half Jacob Botica scored 29 of the points.  Winger Aron Evans also scored his 1st ever try for RGC as well.



RGC and Llanelli shared the spoils at Parc Eirias, and it also was the game were we had our 1st ever RGC Centurion.  Andrew Williams led out the side for his 100th appearance.

It was a difficult month results wise, with 2 loses and a win.  Cross Keys under the Friday Night Lights was a disappointing one as Mark Jones expressed after the game “I have no qualms in the result to be honest, we spurned a number of 3 on 2 overlaps and we were poor in our execution”

They got back in track with a BP win home to Cardiff, with Phil John making his RGC debut as well.

The month ended with another defeat on the road when Bedwas won 27-17.



It was a crucial month for RGC with games against Ebbw Vale and Merthyr.

First up was the Steelmen, and the Eirias crowd were delighted to watch the Gogs run in 7 tries in a 51 – 17 win.

The first half performance was as good as any seen by an RGC side with 6 tries, superb running rugby and 43 points.

Tom “Bala”Hughes was another Original who hung up his RGC Jersey, but in typical RGC fashion 18 year old Sam Wainwright was now making his mark in the pack

Next up was Merthyr on December 27th, and a big traveling support headed to the Wern for some a festive cracker of a game.  With Merthyr leading 19-9 at the break, the game swung with tries from Tom Hughes and Aron Evans to claim the victory.



The year started with a defeat at Newport, before a home game versus Pontypridd in front of a record 2,814 crowd at Eirias.  The score line matched the occasion with a 6 try victory.

We began our cup run against Dunant and racked up an 81-7 score line. 

The Principality Premiership split occurred, and we had clinched a top 4 finish in the standings, which was a great achievement….but was their more to come!


We kicked off the Tier 1 Premiership with one of the games to remember. The date was the 4th of February and the score was RGC 25 – Merthyr 24. 

We were 14 points down, then it happened…..a last kick Jacob Botica winner…..we wouldn’t leave it as late again in anymore games…would we?

On the road RGC suffered league defeats at Llandovery and Aberavon,  but a cup win against Bridgend Ravens away meant the cup dream was still on….but it was still a dream.

Afon Bagshaw and Joe Simpson were next to join the exclusive RGC Centurians Club, and it gave us a chance to take a step back and realise how far the players have come in 5 years…and how many hairstyles  Afon has had.



When we said we wouldn’t leave it late again…..erm……The never give up attitude of the players was re-enforced in the cup game against Llandovery. The high scoring game was won with a last gasp try from Huw Worthington.

A disappointing performance in the league meant we suffered only our 2nd home loss to Bedwas, before we headed to Pontypridd to play Merthyr for our first ever cup semi-final.  A ground steeped in history, was to witness a game to go done in the history books.

Ah yes…..those late winners…….It was another epic game, marked with Carwyn “he scores when he wants” Ap Myrddin joining the 100 club….and he did score a try. As for last play winners…we did it again…. with Sam Jones going in at the corner.


This was the month to go for that top 4 finish, and every game was a must win game, every gam was a cup final…and we won all of them. Ebbw Vale, Carmarthen and Pontypridd were all added to the win column.

Huw Worthington made the 100 not out club as well.

Ah yes, we had on other fixture in April. This one meant a huge amount - the WRU National Cup Final.  A game at the Principality Stadium, a cup final and the win.

To get to the final was a massive acivement….to win it…well it is difficult to put into words.  Our name is now on the trophy. The 15-11 victory is something we will never forget.


We clinched the top 4 finish in a winner takes all occasion at Pontypridd.  Unlike the cup final we won the game with a bit more ease 37-18. Once again the travelling RGC support was a key part in the victory.  

That win set up a play-off semi-final clash against a team we know well as it was the 4th game against the Ironmen and this time Merthyr came out with the victory.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments