RGC | 1st Team 18 - 17 Bridgend RFC | 1st Team
Harri Evans
Try 1
Sam Wainwright
Try 1
Jacob Nikkola Kenny Botica
Conversion 1
Penalty 2
Ryan Evans
1 Conversion
1 Penalty
Harri Morgan
1 Try

Match Report
07 October 2017 / Team News

Botica's Boot Beats Bridgend

The game will be remembered by a late penalty winner from Jacob Botica, but the rest of the game won’t make many highlight clips.  RGC did enough to win the game but they made it difficult for themselves throughout the 80 minutes.

It was Sam Wainwright who claimed the 1st points with a try in the opening 5 minutes. The score came after some good pressure from RGC with a bright opening as they looked to keep the unbeaten home run going.

If it was the home side that started well, the next 35 minutes was far better for the Ravens. They played much of the ball in the RGC half and manged to get points on the board with an Evans penalty.

Fly-half Evans had another chance when he booted a penalty from past the halfway line, but it went wide.

Ravens continued to build some pressure, but their try came from an RGC attack when Dion Jones threw a pass but it was intercepted by Harri Morgan who capitalised and scored. Edwards hit the conversion to extend the lead.

The visitors were asking the questions and RGC had to defend deep, with Andrew Williams and Robin Williams both making some good tackles to stop another try.

RGC opened the 2nd half with some good phase play as they looked to get back into the game. They were able to get close to the Bridgend line but couldn’t get over the whitewash.  Bridgend were then reduced to 14 men when hooker Thomas was yellow carded.  The home side weren’t able to make that man advantage count and a couple of line-outs misfired, easing pressure on Bridgend who were able to clear the ball with the boot.

The try did arrive and when it did, it was to the crowds delighted when HarrI Evans went over. Substitute Botica hit the conversion to give RGC a 2 point lead.  That lead was extended minutes later with a Botica penalty and some of the nerves in the crowd were eased.

Those nerves returned as the clock ticked down, and Bridgend worked their way back up the pitch. They got a line-out and drove on before RGC Captain Maredydd Frances was yellow carded in his 100th appearance.  From the next attack Bridgend Ravens were awarded a penalty try to make it 15-17 to the visitors.

RGC then kicked they restart straight out and it was beginning to look like the game was slipping away from them, but the North Walian resolve again came into play.  The game turned when heads may have dropped in the last minute. RGC won the penalty from the Bridgend scrum and up stepped Botica from the halfway line.  The fly-half smashed the ball over to claim the lead, and after one last play the game was won.

Captain Maredydd Francis reached 100 appearances as he led the side out “It was a good occasion but our performance didn’t reach our normal standards but we will take the win.  It is a great honour to reach the 100 mark and to run out with the boys is always special. Bridgend Ravens were worth their money but we dug deep.  We have made Stadiwm Zip World a difficult place for the opposition to play at, which is what we need.”



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos