RGC | 1st Team 41 - 6 Bridgend Athletic RFC | 1st Team
Lewis Evans
2 Penalty

Match Report
10 October 2015 / Team News

Classy Carwyn Shines In Win


RGC ran in 7 tries in the victory against Bridgend Athletic, and most of the work was completed in the opening 30 minutes.

Josh Leach was a frustrated figure after the victory as he knew his side had failed to do enough in the 2nd half.  “We started reasonably well, and made good decisions with ball in hand playing with patience and scored a really good 1st try.  After 30 minutes we claimed the bonus point but then sat back.  We all spoke at half time about being ruthless against, in all respect, one of the weaker sides we have faced this season.  We didn’t do anything we talked about and put in one of the worst performances in the 2nd half.”

“There was a lack of intensity and accuracy and the half just petered out.  Both Swansea and Pontypool put teams to bed with 60 plus point scores, and the boys need to learn to do the same. The small errors we make will cost us greatly in the bigger games.”



It was the visitors that opened up the scoring with a penalty from Lewis Evans before RGC gained control of the game with the some quick work at the breakdown and positive phase play.

The opening try was well worked with James Lang setting up Danny Cross for the touchdown.  The second score was more power than finesse with Huw Worthington collecting the try after the rolling maul from the RGC pack. Lang hit the extras.

The direct running of Tiaan Loots was causing problems to Bridgend after he was held up short of the line, the ball was spun across the pitch for Ianto Parri to touchdown.  It was bonus point time after 30 minutes when Carwyn Ap Myrddin scored his first try of the game.  Young scrum-half Efan Jones created the chance with a quick pick and go before Danny Cross passed to the RGC try machine to go over. Another kick from Lang increased the lead.

Bridgend picked up another penalty from the boot of Evans before RGC were reduced to 14 men with Tim Grey yellow carded.

Even though RGC had wrapped up the 4 tries fairly early in the match overall the game was pretty flat, and Bridgend didn’t really offer anything in attack even with the man advantage.

The 2nd half failed to get going for RGC, but they did score another 3 tries. Carwyn Ap Myrddin got his hatrick and the pick of the scores was one where he showed a good attacking line and amazing pace to race down the pitch.

Overall it was a case of enforced errors, as the homeside looked to create chances to early instead of building on the phases.  The coaching staff were clearly frustrated pitchside as they watched their players fail to do the basics right.

Substitute scrum-half Cam Davies touchdown near the end with a quick tap penalty to catch the Bridgend defence cold before Danny Cross converted.

A bonus point win is what it will say in the record books, but overall RGC will have to perform much better if they are to work their way up the table in the coming weeks.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos