RGC | 1st Team 25 - 22 Llanelli RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
02 September 2017 / Team News

RGC Leave It Late

RGC left it late to claim the 1st win of the season against Llanelli.

The home crowd were treated to a seven try game, with a penalty from Jacob Botica sealing the points near the end.

RGC started the game with some intent as they ran the ball well. Tom Hughes scored the opening try with Botica hitting the conversion.

It was all RGC in regards to possession and territory in the opening 10 minutes, with Dion Jones and Tom Hughes making some good runs with ball in hand.

The game turned after Llanelli claimed a try from winger Rogers, and from that the away side grew in confidence and played some heads up rugby.  Soon after they took the lead when winger Conbeer went over in the corner.

As much as Llanelli attacked well, RGC would have been disappointed with some of the missed tackles which gave the opportunities to the visitors.

It was RGC’s turn to get a try next, and it was all down to the pack.  The pack worked hard at the scrum to earn a penalty and from the resulting kick to touch and line-out a driving maul was formed and the drove on. Henri Williams came up with the ball and the try. Botica added the extras.

The crowd were on their feet after Harri Evans made a run down the wing but was stopped in his tracks. RGC then were on the attack again after a good steal from Tiann Loots and the centre raced down the field.

Llanelli would have been the happier of the 2 sided in the dressing room, as they looked the better in attack as the half wore on.

The 2nd half started positively for RGC when Evan Yardley picked up the ball at the back of the maul and went over for the try. 

Aron Evan put on the burners and raced down the line but it ended with a knock on.  Llanelli were reduced to 14 men when Tom Phillips was sent to the sin bin.

The extra man didn’t work in RGC’s advantage as Flanagan scored after the home sides defence was split open.  The visitors went close again but Dion Jones put in a big tackle.

RGC were working some good positions and running some clean lines, but that penetration just wasn’t happening in the backline.

Botica increased RGC’s lead to 22-15 with a penalty.

That lead was nullified when Simpson got Llanelli’s 4th try and Hart hit the conversion.

With the game all square with the clock ticking down RGC controlled the ball and worked some good phases.  It was the home-sides best spell in the match, and under some pressure they kept the ball well. Botica hit a great touch finder that rolled over the visitors 15m line.  That boot of Botica won the game with 2 minutes to go with a penalty under the posts.

Llanelli still had time to muster one final attack, and credit to the RGC defence how made some big tackles to not give the visitors any opportunity to break through.

Mark Jones said his side has learnt some lessons from last season after they close win “It was a very nip and tuck game,  Llanelli impressed me today both in attack and defence, which caused us problems. Looking at the game we did better in the 2nd half and credit to the players who reacted to what was happening in front of them. As a group we want them to learn to make decisions on the field, and today they did that, we stayed in the game and when it was needed we controlled the ball and got that penalty.  That said the result today won’t mean anything unless we back it up next week at Neath”

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos